Sonntag, 27. Februar 2011

Present Simple (I do)

  1. The present simple refers to something true in general. We use it to talk about things in general while we are not thinking only about now, but that something happens repeatedly or all the time.
      • Mothers take care of kids.
      • The earth goes round the sun.
      • I always play football.
    Don't forget we say: he/she/it takes, with -s, but I/we/you/they take.

  1. Do/Does are used to make questions and negative sentences:

do I/we/you/they take? / I/we/you/they don't take
does he/she/it take? / he/she/it doesn't take

Example:
  • Where do you come from? I come from Cameroon.
  • Cat doesn't like water.
  • What does it mean? It means nothing.
Do can also be the main verb:
  • She's so lazy. She doesn't do anything to help her mum.
  • "What do you do?" (Stands for What's your job?). "I work in a bar."
When we say how often we do things, we use the present tense:
  • Dave doesn't drink beer very often.
  • We get up at 8:00 am every morning.
  • How often do you ride a bike?
The present tense is used to promise, suggest...
Here are some examples.
        • I promise I'll come.
        • I suggest that you...
The same with: I advise.../ I refuse.../ I insist.../ I apologise.../ I agree...etc

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen